Modern Warfare 3 allows players to customize their controller settings extensively which helps improve their gameplay. Here are the best controller settings for MW3, including settings for optimal stick sensitivity, aim assist, and more.
Modern Warfare 3 is now fully available around the world, offering a ton of content for players to jump into. This includes all the maps from MW2 2009 and new weapons in the arsenal, along with the return of beloved features and the first-ever Zombies mode in a MW title.
However, to fully enjoy and excel in the game, players need to customize their controller settings which affect aspects such as aiming and movement, among other things. Some of these settings may involve hard-to-grasp in-game mechanics and lead to confusion among players.
So, here are the best controller settings for Modern Warfare 3, including sensitivity, aim assist, inputs, and more.
Best Modern Warfare 3 controller settings
- Button Layout Preset: Tactical
- L1 Button Ping: Off
- Flip L1/R1 with L2/R2: If you want faster button press time or play with claw grip, you could turn this on
- Stick Layout Preset: Default
- Controller Vibration: Off
- Trigger Effect: Off
Modern Warfare 3 introduces a new Deadzone Input Test, that lets players accurately test their sticks’ deadzone in real-time and precisely configure them.
Reducing your Deadzone settings to their minimum values enhances both your reaction time and fine-aim control, resulting in quicker responses and greater accuracy.
The Deadzone Input Test gives players deep customization of their sticks and button behaviors.
- Horizontal Stick Sensitivity: 6
- Vertical Stick Sensitivity: 6
- ADS Sensitivity Multiplier: 0.90
- Sensitivity Multiplier:
- Verticle Aim Axis:
- Ground Vehicles: Standard
- Tac-Stance Sensitivity Multiplier: 0.90
- Aim Response Curve Type: Dynamic
- ADS Sensitivity Multiplier (Focus): 0.90
- ADS Sensitivity Transition Timing: Instant
- Custom Sensitivity Per Zoom: Off
For optimal gameplay in the Modern Warfare 3, we suggest starting with a sensitivity setting of 6, though sensitivity is a matter of personal preference. As you gain experience, consider gradually increasing your sensitivity to a level that feels comfortable.
Higher sensitivity settings enable faster turning, giving you an advantage in reacting to enemies approaching from various angles.
- Target Aim Assist: On
- Aim Assist Type: Black Ops
Motion Sensor Aiming
- Motion Sensor Behavior: Off
The best controller settings will help you dominate Modern Warfare 3.
- Automatic Sprint: Off
- Sprint/Tactical Sprint Behavior: Toggle
- Auto Move Forward: Off
- Tactical Sprint Behavior: Double Tap
- Grounded Mantle: On
- Automatic Airborne Mantle: Partial
- Automatic Ground Mantle/Hang: Off
- Slide/Dive Behavior: Tap to Slide
- Plunging Underwater: Free
- Parachute Auto-Deploy: Off
- Sprinting Door Bash: On
- Ledge Climb Behavior: Mantle Only
- Slide Cancel Sprint: On
- Aim Down Sight Behavior: Hold
- Change Zoom Activation: Off
- Equipment Behavior: Hold
- Weapon Mount Activation: ADS + Melee
- Weapon Mount Exit Delay: Medium
- Tactical Stance Activation: ADS + Melee
- Tactical Stance Behavior: On Toggle
- Interact/Reload Behavior: Tap to Reload
- Armor Plate Behavior: Apply All
- ADS Stick Swap: Off
- Backpack Control: Directional Buttons
- Depleted Ammo Weapon Switch: On
- Quick C4 Detonation: Grouped
- Manual Fire Behavior: Press
- Vehicle Camera Recenter: Short Delay
- Camera Initial Position: Free Look
- Lean-Out Activation: Melee
- Ping Wheel Delay: Moderate
- Double Tap Danger Ping Delay: Moderate
- Killstreak Wheel Behavior: Hold
Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Assist type
There are four different types of aim assist in Modern Warfare 3.
If you want to ensure your aim assist is perfectly tuned when playing the Modern Warfare 3, then you can take it a step further by ensuring you’re using the best Aim Assist type. Here’s what each type means:
- Default: Traditional aim slowdown near target used in Modern Warfare games.
- Precision: Strong aim slowdown that only kicks in when aiming closer to the target. Recommended for accurate players.
- Focusing: Strong aim slowdown that also kicks in when narrowly missing the target. Recommended for players new to analog aiming.
- Black Ops: Traditional aim slowdown near target used in Black Ops games
The Focusing type is ideal for new shooter players, but once you gain confidence, it’s advisable to transition away from it as you may feel aim assist to be overly powerful.
While there isn’t a significant distinction between Black Ops and Default aim assist types, experimenting with both could determine which suits your preferences.
Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Response Curve
Modern Warfare 3 offers players three types of Aim Response Curve that change how your aim rate responds to your thumbstick movements, so here’s a breakdown of the three types you’ll find in the game:
- Standard: Simple power curve map from aim stick to aim rate
- Linear: Aim stick maps directly to aim rate
- Dynamic: Reverse S-curve mapping for fine aim rate control
When it comes to the Aim Response Curve, most players favor the Standard option for its natural feel. However, if you’re skilled and comfortable with the controller, we suggest using the Dynamic option for finer control. Lastly, avoid the Linear option altogether for the best experience.
Best Modern Warfare 3 FOV settings
We suggest adjusting your Modern Warfare 3 Field of View within the range of 100 to 115. This strikes a balance, allowing you to have a broad view of your surroundings to avoid surprise attacks while ensuring that enemy players remain reasonably visible and easy to track, without appearing too small.
Although it might not be immediately apparent, your FOV setting can have a significant impact on both your controller and mouse and keyboard performance when playing Modern Warfare 3.
How to find the best Modern Warfare 3 controller settings
Rust joined the MW3 map roster following the playlist’s first update during weekend one.
Unfortunately, there won’t be a list of settings that work perfectly for everyone. Therefore, the most effective approach to finding the best control settings is making the most of the MW3 by testing with different configurations until you find the one that suits your preferences and play style.
Those are the best controller settings for Modern Warfare 3. For more, be sure to check out our other guides: